Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bean Counter

The more classes I attend the more it makes me wonder, what do you do when your passion isn’t profitable? Do you settle for just some career that you will forever be doomed to hate and dread and spiral into a perpetual case of the Mondays yet highly profitable? Or do you go into a field that you remotely have interest in that pays very little but highly rewarding?

Does money equal happiness when your real dreams and aspirations are unobtainable?

I seem to be always trying to find the answer to this and I think I need to find out soon. From an outside perspective most late 20 year olds seem to have their life together. They have met someone they can stand to be around for more than 3 months at a time. They are in a field of work they seemingly don’t want to slice their wrist to avoid. They have a one tone car and a house or apt without a roommate. Now me on the other hand I have a biology degree with only a mediocre GPA-which is why nursing or medical field is out. Plus I’m not big into being coughed, vomited, bled, or pooed on.  I am still rocking the same car since I was 16 despite a wreck so it’s a two tone color-sweet silver hood! I term out at about 2 dates to 3 months on dating people before its done.

My ideal job would be research/talking to serial killers. Yes, this could potentially be a job such as a profile with the BAU but they really want someone that is a psychology graduate.  Plus that requires living out on the East Coast for the most part and I really have no desire for that coast. Plus if you do your hobby for your job, you would really want to take your work home and I really don’t need to limit my social life even more!

Currently studying accounting and the more and more I am in the class the more and more I realize Hey zeussssssss!!! WHY GOD why!?! But the perk is the pay and the fact they will always be in need. So to count beans or to not count beans, that is the question. That question will be answered after exam 2, if it’s a no go then might as well  torture high school students with my nerdy love all things science.

I wouldn’t mind teaching Biology but with all the government stuff, I want to actually have a job!!! With a teaching job I could still continue my current job at night or weekends or on breaks as a subsidized income. Plus how awesome would it be to work in a 4 day a week school district, 3 day weekends, holidays, and summers off-Where the hell do I sign up for that lap of luxury with a  livable salary of the national average of 55,934 based on information provided by  Salary.com. Yes I know Oklahoma salary is lower than the avg and you have a lot of work you end up doing at home.

Got any input for me?? Do you know me well enough to recommend a path you think I’d rock at? Preferably one that allows me to achieve my current goal of a one tone car….I know I aim high!

3 comments:

  1. Your salary goals are abit high.... try 32,000

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said thats based on National reported avg. and Oklahoma is actually much lower than avg

    ReplyDelete
  3. it took me 6 years and a degree change to get my degree in film. i loved my degree, and now i work in journalism and its what i want to do for the rest of my life. the hours suck, the money is bad and ive been working from the ground up for the past 2 years. more money would make life easier, but i wont change career goals. unless you want to give me $100,000 a year
    :)

    ReplyDelete